Tuesday, December 30, 2008

A Story

We were in San Marcos, Northern Guatemala, on a "week of service" trip with youth from all around Guatemala and El Salvador. I was sharing a room with a very boyish looking 13 to 15 year old (I forget).

We both yawned a little bit as we got up. I said something about how nice the bed was.

He said to me "oooh, I was having a wonderful dream"

"yes" I said "It is good to dream"

"Yeah" he responded, "but I was dreaming about my dad"
"Oh, That{s nice"

I thought, oh wow, we have been gone a few days and this poor little kid is already missing his family. I rolled my eyes behind closed eyes and the thought "that{s sweet" had an easily descernable condescending tone.

"my dad is living in the United States, I have not seen him in years" he told me.

oh.

He is the oldest at around 14 years old.

I felt like sh**. And that is exactly what I deserved.

Jordan

No comments: