Sunday, January 18, 2009

A Sleepy Day in Carchá

It is Sunday and Carcha is basically closed down. It is drizzily, as usual, and there is not much to do except to rest and go to church. It is pretty nice.

I was thinking about relating a recent, rather hilarious story, but I´ll think put that in my back pocket for good dinner time conversations.

A little over a week ago I was in Nicaragua at MCC regional meetings. It was a lot of fun hanging out with MCC´ers who are, as a rule, very cool people. On the bus ride to Nicaragua we saw six movies. Common themes were: a lot of dyin, resurrection, immortality, the power to rule the world. It was annoying because you couldn´t take your eyse off the screen.

Now I am doing a lot of running around trying to keep things running semi-smoothly for a group of adult Nebraskans here on a Work and Learn trip. They are a lot of fun and it is really great to see all the people from back home who care so much about MCC´s work and the people we work for. It is very refreshing for me. It is also very good for people here for the same reasons.

Random thoughts:

John Smoltz with the Red Sox, you´ve got to be kidding me.

The United States biggest, scariest, and most effective weapon is the idea of democracy. Right? The idea of popular uprising for a just and representative government makes a lot of evil people with power shake in their boots. I know most cultures dont have these ideals so ingrained as being of upmost importance as ours does, but promoting it peacefully (can you truly promote just governance with violence?) might possibly go a lot further than at first thought. The French revolution was scary enough that all the monarchs of Europe came together to prevent it from happening again. Enlightenment ideas about government were captivating enough that, despite strict censorship, exiled authors, imprisonment, the death penalty and other forms of forceful government oppression, people kept on reading about these ideas, and people, amazingly, kept on writing.

I am considering to continue not shaving and see where it leads.

My Kekchi nickname (the nickname for Marcos, which is what I go by here) is Cux, which sounds like ¨cush¨ with th u sounding like the u sound you hear in ¨you¨ . My host mom once said to me, ¨a Jenny le extraña su cuxito¨

Sometimes the best parts of my day are the random conversations I have with people. The guys at the bus stop with whom we talk about why the United States has such a better soccer team (the first thing that is always mentioned is size, then money, then talent, nobody seems to think it matters that we have so many people... I don´t think many can quite grasp how many more people a huge country like the United States has to choose from for it´s team thana small country like Guatemala).

My own personal approval of Obama would shoot way up if he were to buy aHuskey or a German Shepherd, or just pick up a will be big total mut off the street and make it his.

What does it mean when the coke cans on the back of walmart brand soda says ¨100% satisfaction garunteed¨? I spent entire summers working at fruit packing sheds perplexed by that question and I have seriously dreamt of returning enough coke cans to WalMart (for only being 93% satisfied) that they stopped handing the money back to me. THen I would have to take them to court and they would either pay me off, or, even better, they would take off their arrogant claim that they can truly garuntee 100% satisfaction. Nathan Boldt my favorite work partner knows that this question is one of the few things that can truly make me kind of upset. Well, maybe not so upset, but it at least annoys me to know end. Where do they get the arrogance that their little sugar water product can satisfy (100% satisfy) so many millions of very different consumers. My rather acute sense of spitefunessl just rages and begs me to make my lifes work taking that silly little line off of WalMart coke cans.

I am reading my first work by a Russian author, Dostoeskys Notes From Underground. In it, the author is extremely spiteful. Basically like George in Seinfeld. He preceives everything as an insult and can never win. In it he dreams and dreams about, as a lowly person, instead of jumping to the side of a rich important person, actually bumping shoulders with him. When he finally tries to do it, he attempts and attempts and fails and fails. Finally he does, barely, bump shoulders with him... and he is exalted. This is like me and WalMart. One day I will come home exalted at the small amount of money WalMart has given back to me because they are foolish enough to make a claim they coulnd´t possibly keep if we were all honest. And WalMart wouldn´t care one bit.

ok, ok, so there is a small view of where the mind can wonder while working at a fruit packing shed (which, despite the idea the previous lines my give you, is a great summer job).

anyways, I need to get on with the business of the day and take a nap.

con cariño

Jordan

4 comments:

Joseph said...

Jordan, fantastic post. I love the idea of Dostoevsky being like George Costanza. And I'm just imagining Nathan nodding his head with a knowing smirk as you describe your frustration with the 100% satisfaction guarantee on the coke can. As far as Jenny extranando su cuxito, well, that's a swifter current than I care to wade into. And it does matter (doesn't it?) what kind of dog the Obama's choose. If they get a little yapper, I'm moving to Canada.

Jordo24 said...

CLARIFICATION: thanks for the comment Jos, I need to clarify however that I was not saying that Dostoevsky was like George Castanza. The fictional character that narrates Notes From Underground, who Dostoevsky created, is like our favorite George. I imagine, however, that the great writer had to have a few of those qualities or vices. Sort of like Larry David (creator of George).

Joseph said...

So...if I may jump ahead: Fyodor Dostoevsky is equal to Larry David.

Jordo24 said...

yes, literally.

Jordan