Thursday, April 23, 2009

Questions

A few questions I was puzzling over the other day.

If WalMart had started out as a do-good NGO with the purpose of providing food and other household projects at a cheaper price while freeing up their time by reducing shopping time, would we consider it today a hugely successful attempt to help and attend to the needs of ordinary people?


And secondly, if WalMart had really started out with high minded intentions, would it have been nearly as successful as it is today. Instead of a hugely successful capitalist enterprise, would we think of it as a being disturbingly communist-like in its huge big-blockness, destruction of individuality (especially with its destruction of small businesses), and its big picture central planning. And instead of having hordes of minimum wage workers, would it maximize its efficiency with smiling volunteers, knocking down prices everyday.


If washers and dryers had been taken up as a cause by womens liberation groups to free women from having to slave away hand washing clothes, would anybody today be using them? Or would whatever organization have handed out a few thousand and found that then, most women wouldn´t except washers and dryers, being something that they didn´t need, and therefore unable to accept as a hand out.

Why don{t most large businesses "have a heart"? And more importantly, why don{t we demand that businesses have a heart?

Any comments or emails on these questions would be greatly appreciated,

Jordan


And for the record, I try to avoid WalMart, but maybe that is just because I have enough money to afford disdain for it.


Ps. I already have written a post on what I actually do here, so look for that soon.

me at "hidden water." Looking cool. I finally found a cord and got some pictues onto my USB, so I´ll also probably post some more pictures soon.

2 comments:

Toby said...

Wonderful observations.

Rosabethbk said...

Those are freaking good questions! That's my comment.