Wednesday, May 20, 2009

My host family part 1

Selbil: Little brother of 17 years. Energetic and chistoso, he smiles and laughs rather easily. He is in an accounting program in Cobán, where he attends everyday wearing the obligatory nice pants, nice shoes, button up tucked in shirt, hair about as long as it is allowed. He calls me “cushO” (I am spelling it how it sounds) and sometimes attacks my shoulders like Rusty Moyer when he is giving someone a “massage.” He is a good soccer player. Besides playing soccer he likes to attack our little cousin, the lovable “pescadito” (little fish). Unlike many young people, Selbil does not dream of leaving for the states, but realizes that there are possibilities here in Guatemala and that his friends and the people of his community are truly important for him. He goes to church every Saturday and Sunday, prays before meals, and wonders aloud about theological problems such as homosexuality. Selbil is very easy to get along with and I am thankful for how he reached out to me from the very beginning.

No comments: