Wednesday, September 3, 2008

A short update

Today was my third day of language study and it has been going pretty well. It's four hours, but with a thirty minute break which can turn into a 40 minute break. My maestra is fun and a lot of times we just talk about a variety of things- immigration, Obama vs Mccain, spanish literature, racism in Guatemala and the United States, school systems... many times the time se fue volando (went by really fast). Today we listened to music. It was a fun exercise. Sometimes I talk pretty well, other times not.

The other with my host family night we watched the new version of poseidon on television. Kind of fun.

I am now starting to read the book El Senior Presidente which won a nobel prize and is by Asturias, a Guatemalan auther. So for it is pretty difficult though.

Today was also my first day in which I went to school on my own. Yesterday my host brother showed me the way. I decided to be safe and walk today, although it took a long time and isn't too fun with the traffic and pollution.

Jordan

1 comment:

kim schmidt said...

Who is your instructor? Oh, and I understand your comment about the breaks. Sometimes everyone is laid back and it takes a while to get back to class.

And you walked to school? What neighorhood do you live in? La Brigada? or Zona Seis? or neither? Do you just not want to take public transport or looking for a way to save a little money? Sorry to bombard you with so many questions. Seems as though you are having a good time.

Later gator.

kim