Saturday, October 18, 2008

First Week in Carchá

finally there!

I am not going to take a lot of time to write right now, hopefully, but here are a few thoughts after my first week in the town where I will spend the next 10 months or so.

It´s beautiful! It rains all the time, and it shows in the deep green which covers the mountains which surround the town.

Thank goodness for Eastern Mennonite Missions missionaries who took care of me after I foolishly drank some fresco made from unclean water. Yes, I apparently have a wednesday night curse, especially if Thursday I am planning on traveling.

The house is high up on a hill and I have a beautiful view of the town. Pretty amazing.

walking down the mainstreet one is likely to meet someone they know, even if they have only lived in Carchá a week.

The Dave Mattews version of ¨burning down the house¨pretty much rocks.

It is necessary not to have preconceived ideas of what a bathroom is supposed to be.

The tortillas here are huge, and I have no idea how my host father eats soup, yes soup, without a spoon, but with tortillas.

I should learn some Kechi.

My work has been ok. I feel like I have helped some, and I think I may be on the cusp of really beraking into some more friendships here, so that is exciting. I think I will look forward, however, to starting my real job at the school in January too.

ok all for now,

Jordan

No comments: