Saturday, August 2, 2008

Anatomy of a blog

To be quite honest, I have rather mixed feelings about starting a blog. My brother Elijah says it is "out of character," Kevin Neufeld wrote back pseudo-derisively to me, "What's next Jordan, a cell phone?" Well, perhaps. I do not think however, that somehow beginning a blog is some sort of turn around for me in regards to the negative feelings I sometimes hold towards things like cell phones and facebook. First of all I have never claimed to be totally against these things (though it seems like sometimes it comes off that way). What I do think, is that we should all be more aware of some negative effects I think these new forms of communication can potentially have:
1. the replacement of face to face communication/relationships with digital ones. What Shane Hipps equivocated with cotton candy.
2. The fostering of insecurity in our relationships
3. wasting my time
4. Making it far to easy to look towards the "then and there" rather than take advantage of the "here and now" (ie. always wanting to know what's going on somewhere else (in case a friend is doing something more fun than you) instead of focusing on what you're doing at the present.

etc.

ok enough of that soap box.

I am beginning this blog for both selfish and unselfish reasons. This blog work kind of like a journal for me (I hope) and will later in life serve as something to help spark my memories of my time in Guatemala. I hope that it will foster real connections and communications with friends of mine. I really like email communication with people. I hope that this blog will sometimes inspire people to write me emails about what and how they are doing. I don't want people to think that somehow comments on this blog can replace personal communication via email. I can be the kind of person who needs positive feedback, so if one enjoys reading what I have to say, I hope they tell me so every now and then, and respond with something about themself. Also I hope everyone understands that I will try to make sure that, no matter how much I miss home, I will always try to make sure that I keep my heart and mind in Guatemala. I do not want to be physically in Guatemala and mentally in the states. Ok, so maybe my reasons are mostly selfish. WEll, I mean, I suppose the enlightening of the ignorant masses is pretty much the height of self-sacrifice... but you know, I guess that's just part of being a servant-leader and "champion of character."
I have really enjoyed reading other peoples blogs and I think it can be a good way to keep up with people who are close to you.

The weird thing about blogging is that, like mass emails, they are generally 100% about the writer. It can start to feel really egocentric (my experience with mass-emails). ANd I guess basically is. The reason is that the only thing that all the people this blog puts me in conversation with have 100% in common... is me. Which means, basically, that me is all I can write about. So, again if you want more personal contact, I suggest emails.

The blog is good because nobody is forced to read it, and so only people who are genuinely interested will read it.

ok, I'm gonna go buy a watermelon with my dad.

Jordan

ps. I am not in Guatemala yet

pps. WHen I was a kid I was really good at picking out watermelons. Right now, I have self-doubt.

No comments: