Monday, August 18, 2008

In Guatemala

and loving it! We are still in an orientations stage, and have not had the chance to really stretch our legs exploring Guatemala, but I have a very good first impression of Guatemala. The city reminds me of Quito, which is good. Though I am also glad I will not spend the year in the city, but will be going out into more rural areas. September first we will begin a month of language school and then we (myself, David Janzen, and Rachelle Smitz) will go out to our respective posts. We are all in fairly rural areas where seperate indigenous languages are dominant. I´ve already begun an informal study of the Kechi language. Speaking of that, I need to get to reading a book on said cultural group with which I will be living.

The Volcano smokes ominously above the city.

ok that´s all for now,

Jordan

2 comments:

Katie said...

Glad you made it safely. John and I are greatly anticipating all of your updates. Hope the language study goes well.

Unknown said...

Hey man, it's good to hear you are having a fun time so far! I've already enjoyed reading your blogs, so keep it up!

-Evan

P.S. I don't know if you heard the bad news, but LeRoi Moore (DMB saxophonist) died 2 days ago :-(